Sunday, May 08, 2005

Stand near the edge...

Here's an intesting read on how ideas emerge from holes.

So, why's this the first post to my blog?

Having spent 5 years in the IdM industry, and having done so at one company (err...3? Netscape/iPlanet/Sun? ), I recently decided to jump through a structural hole, and see what was on the other side. As it turns out, it was a small SOA startup.

8 months later I've decided to jump on the bandwagon, and I've decided to call my blog xmldap - a nice hybred between my old and new industries, which is what I intend to write about...I hope you enjoy.

The paper itself does a nice job articulating (and partially quantifying) the intangible social capital assigned to social supernodes (see the 6 degrees of bowen ). As the new generation of emergent identity systems gets designed, we must provide for liberal acceptance of tokens/assertions/claims. Physical manifestations of social networks like LinkedIn have tremendous potential as transitive "trust" overlays...picture a Web of Trust model without key management. Some powerful Identity claims exist in untapped form (eBay reputation, social webs, etc ) - as in any good protocol design, let's be liberal with what we accept.

No comments: